Multiple Message monitors

Support forum for MegunoLink
hugh

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi,
I am working on a project to automate an observatory dome for astrophotography.

After a lot of false starts I have ended up with a setup that uses 3 Arduino boards. One board is the master controller and the other two are slaves. One slave drives the Dome rotation motor and the other drives the Shutter up/down motor. The Master and shutter slave connect via XBees. The Master and dome slave have a wired serial connection.

So far so good!

I have also designed and implemented a MegUno Interface panel that allows me to not only operate the equipment but also allows simple and rapid changes to the various operating parameters. This is extremely useful as I am now in the final testing, calibration and integration phase of the project.

At present, only the Master board software defines a MegUno instance, so all data to and from the Interface panel goes via the Master board software.

However, for debugging the serial comms between the boards during operation it would be hugely helpful if I could have 3 separate Message Monitors open simultaneously, each connected to it’s own Arduino and each responding in real time.

It is no problem to open 3 Message Monitors and set them to the correct Com port for the individual Arduino boards but at present I can only have one active at a time. Is there a way to have all three active at the same time?

Looking forward to finding a way forward.

Thanks in advance, Hugh
philr

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Hi Hugh, megunolink should let you connect to multiple serial connections at the same time? I'm not sure why you cant have all three active at once.