Need Help in Determining number of sensors that can be used,

Support forum for MegunoLink
mwilk004

Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Hi,

I am new to the new Meguno Link forum and this is my first post.

I have 40 small DC motors that I am performing a quality control batch run on and wanted to monitor each of them with all their data on the screen and then refresh the screen after giving users about a minute to view the data on all the motors then carry on with more live data.

My question is regarding how many sensors (mine in particular are the ACS712 30 AMP current sensors by Allegro) that I can serial monitor and be able to display current and voltage data on your custom GUI software?

I was going to approach this by using 3 Arduino Mega 2560 units with 13 to 14 analog reads per board (connecting 13 to 14 sensors per 1 board) and was going to try and display 3 different GUI's to account for all of them or maybe switch between the three Arduino Mega boards by perhaps having one GUI that switches between COM ports that each Arduino is plugged in at and reads the data in such an order with little delay between the readout of one board to the other.

I am not sure about multiplexing one of the Arduino Mega boards (if that is viable, it would be appreciated to know how).

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Matthew Wilkinson
philr

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 am

Hi Matthew, what sort of sampling frequency are you planning to have? I think MegunoLink should be capable of doing this. It does depend on many factors though so best if you could prototype a little to figure it out.

Cheers
Phil