having trouble getting started

Support forum for MegunoLink
frankbicknell

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:36 pm

I am new to megunolink and very excited about the possibilities, however, I just can't get it to go. If I use the examples things seem to work OK. If I try to build a project from scratch I can't get any action. It seems that there is something I am missing. I have looked at the samples and documentation and videos and it isn't working for me.
For example I just want to look at the serial data coming from my device.
In the example Message Logger I can connect and the data is displayed in the message control.
If I try to create essentially the same thing I get a connection control and a message control and drag it to the work area.
The connection control allows me to make a connection to the device, but I get nothing in the message panel? I am missing something.
If this makes sense to anyone please let me know what I am missing.
philr

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:24 am

Hi Frank, what specific example you would like help with? Maybe i can talk you through it.

Basic idea is
- install the arduino ide
- Install the megunolink library https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=007ql7YbFUs
- open the megunolink example from the menu inside the arduino ide
- program that example to your device (what device are you trying to use?)
- Open megunolink, make sure you have a connection manager open and connect to your devices COM port
- Open a serial monitor so you can see the raw messages
- Once you see serial messages you know the connection and device is working.
- Then just open the visualiser (plotting etc) that you wanted to use and it should start working

Cheers
Phil
frankbicknell

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi, Thanks for the tips.
For some reason I am having this problem only on my desktop machine. It seems to work OK from a laptop. I am going to try to re-install the software and see if that corrects it. There are differences between the two machines.

Windows 10 64 pro on the desktop, Megunalink Pro
Windows 10 64 home on the laptop, Megunalink Standard
philr

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 pm

We have put out a recent update and you might be in the middle of it with two machines. Try uninstalling on the non working machine and reinstalling after downloading from our website.

It should work fine of both of those systems.

Cheers
Phil
frankbicknell

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 pm

Thanks that solved the problem.