Uninstall Megunolink

Support forum for MegunoLink
stevewidg

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:23 pm

I recently tried this software, decided I don't like it, BUT its now corrupted my arduino install.
I normally run Visual MIcro, and had been debugging a program most of the day, and probably compiled 10 times when suddenly it stops talking to my com port.
I spotted the Meguno link wrapper. I tried a windows and an IOBit uninstall, reboot , and message still there.
Board is fine, tried in another machine

Im reluctant to try another board on this machine, so how do I completely remove the AVRdude message please.
Steve

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Sketch uses 10362 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253952 bytes.

Global variables use 953 bytes (11%) of dynamic memory, leaving 7239 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8192 bytes.

MegunoLink AVRDude Wrapper

--------------------------

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude" "-CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -q -q -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM6 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_955058/Drosetup.ino.hex:i

"-CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -q -q -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM6 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_955058/Drosetup.ino.hex:i

: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM6": Access is denied.

: ser_drain(): read error: The handle is invalid.
: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

: stk500_send(): failed to send command to serial port

: ser_recv(): read error: The handle is invalid.

: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

the selected serial port : stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

does not exist or your board is not connected
philr

Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi Steve, sorry for the inconvience.

You can remove the wrapper by going to the hardware\tools\avr\bin folder, deleting the avrdude.exe we add and renaming the original back to avrdude.exe. See the picture below. Delete the file with the red cross and rename the highlighted one back to "avrdude.exe".
RemoveAvrdudeIntegration.png
RemoveAvrdudeIntegration.png (103.57 KiB) Viewed 20179 times
philr

Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 pm

As a side note its unlikely this is the problem. We simply forward and messages on to the original avrdude.exe file so it seems more likely you are having COM port issues.

Cheers
Phil
stevewidg

Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi Phil
Thanks for your reply. A bit embarrassing, but having rebooted, AVRDude(MLP) seems to have disappeared!!! I thought I had rebooted after changes, but anyway it now seems fine thanks. Does this mean that my avrdude is yours with the wrapper , and how could I tell?
I may have been a bit hasty dismissing your product. I want to use this on a commercial license, and I am fully aware of the joys of distributing PC based software ( the same is true for other platforms!) suddenly it doesn't work on W10 service pack XXX. So my thoughts were to use a VT100 emulator which is available across platforms ( and is someone else's problem to support!!!). However, a couple of days of playing has convinced me of two things
1. It's not as easy as it looks
2. It looks 1980's
So I'm reconsidering your product. A couple of questions. My hardware collects data from a variety of sensor. These sensors need setting up for a variety of parameters eg mv/degC, pins sensor connected to etc. Having done this the data may be connected to a variety of different applications eg. Excel, or bespoke application eg when Temperature goes above X deg, sound alarm.
so:
1 Does your software continuously check for a link, if so can I switch it off and output another format down serial?
2. If I published the commands for read /write of sensor channels could third party users use builder to make there own applications?
3 Does the commercial license give me access to support other than the forum?
4. Is there any plans to make Megunolink multi platform?
Many thanks

Steve
philr

Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:21 pm

The file renamed AVRDude(MLP) is the original one supplied with the arduino ide. We rename it to this and copy in our one so that when you trigger programming MegunoLink is signaled so it can close the COM port automatically.

To answer your questions
1 - MegunoLink is pretty flexible. It doesnt check for your device automatically and will ignore data sent to it in a different format. Unfortunately it does consume the COM port though so that makes sending it to another application tricky if you already have MegunoLink open using the connection. I may have misunderstood this one so feel free to clarify.

2 - You could provide third parties with a MegunoLink license and example interface which they could modify on the fly. Builder is more for distributing a ready to go interface to your customers.

3 - You can get in touch via email for more specific support. Support is just a one man band operation so I'll do my best.

4 - We would love to but dont have the bandwidth currently to support this. Hopefully the toolchains will progress far enough that this is not such a big ask in the future.

Cheers
Phil