ESP32 Serial issues

Support forum for MegunoLink
senorjaredito

Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:44 pm

I have made a simple sketch to test sending values to a QT PY ESP32 S2 chip. The sketch compiles and uploads to both an Arduino and an ESP32 device, and I am able to send values to the Arduino using MegunoLink perfectly - the values are submitted with a button press and the Arduino repeats them back to the console. However, for some reason when I try to submit the values to the ESP32 chip, I get the error message 'Interface Panel: Error sending: can't write to serial channel. Is it open?'.

I have connected to the device in the Connection Manager in exactly the same way as I did to Arduino and can't figure out why the two are behaving differently.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
philr

Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:04 am

Hi, did you have any luck with this one? We dont do anything fancy with the serial ports so should work just the same.
senorjaredito

Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:00 pm

Hi philr, unfortunately not! In the end the project was quite time-sensitive so I scrapped the need for serial as it was just an added bonus anyway. What's interesting is that I'm able to get the ESP32 to print to the serial console in the Arduino IDE but had no luck getting it to print to the Max/MSP console, so something strange is happening with the serial port somewhere. Not sure what else to add but if you have any troubleshooting advice that would be great!