why is the interface panel flashing "Interface Panel: Unknown Object" ?

Support forum for MegunoLink
JohnM

Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:21 pm

I have a functioning interface panel, but at the bottom a red message always flashes about once a second the message "Interface Panel: Unknown Object" with every panel object name listed in sequence.

Why is this happening? All the objects have names corresponding to the messages being sent from my Arduino, and they are showing correct data values.

The flashing red row at the bottom of the panel is distracting. What am I doing to cause this error message?

Thanks
philr

Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:14 am

Hi John, I think this happens when you try to act upon an object incorrectly. Did you figure it out? I'd simplify your program down to just one control and see if it occurs. Try and isolate out this issue.

Cheers
Phil
philr

Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:21 am

Im told it could also happen if you have multiple interface panels and you arent using channels to separate out the data. For example if you have two interface panels each with a separate text box when you send the command to the second text box the first interface panel will complain that it doesnt have the control present. To fix this you need to use channels which can be defined by adding a MLPUIMessageProcessor to the interface and setting a channel name.

See this screenshot
x2scrap.png
x2scrap.png (211.04 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Define the channel
x2scrap2.png
x2scrap2.png (34.38 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Then when you create your interface panel in arduino you would do something like
InterfacePanel myPanel1("Interface1");
InterfacePanel myPanel2("Interface2");

Now when you send messages to update controls they only go to the specific panel.

Cheers
Phil
JohnM

Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:01 pm

Phil,

I did have a second interface panel that I had started and never used, but which had some duplicate controls to my main interface panel. So I closed that panel tab.

Also, I was sending some data to the interface panel that was obsolete and no longer associated with a control, so I was getting "Unknown object" errors. I deleted those data sends from the Arduino code.

Thanks for your suggestions!
John